For Those Who Were Kids In 80th

Posted by Humanier | 1:05 PM | 0 comments »

If you were kid back in 80th, than most probably you know what ZX Spectrum means. :) You can find an emulator of this platform written in JavaScript and loaded with tons of great oldies at http://jsspeccy.zxdemo.org/.

Enjoy!




I know it's 21st century. Java and .NET rule the world. But one day you might got stuck with a piece of legacy code C++ code written in Visual Studio 6.0. And sometimes you end up debugging it in its native environment because converting the code to modern versions of runtime is too complex.

In this case you will be disappointed by VC6 abilities to watch contents of C++ strings (std::basic_string, MFC/WTL CString, BSTR, _bstr_t, CComBSTR, char*, WCHAR*). Most probably you'll have to either dump strings to a log file or print to a console of some kind.

But there's a wonderful plugin for Visual Studio 6 called XDebug. It was written by Eugene Ivakhiv. The plugin completely reinvents viewing of string variables' contents in VC6. You can find it here - http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/v-s/devstudio_macros/debugging/print.php/c5989/.

Recently I found a great chart explaining what new features HTML5 brings to us.


The image is clickable.


Net worth

Posted by Humanier | 2:57 AM | | 0 comments »

Click to enlarge the picture.

From Humanier

After copying few databases from another computer to newly installed computer I tried to attach them to the local SQL server. Bad luck! The server saw them as read-only databases.

Finally the issue was resolved by giving SQL server account full permissions to the databases files.

Holy thread!

Posted by Humanier | 4:03 PM | | 1 comments »

Today I installed MS SQL server 2005 on a Windows Server 2003 hosted inside VMWare. Though there were no errors during installation the server failed to start. Digging the event log I found a message saying:


SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

Mr. Google rocked as usual. :) Here I found a resolution for this problem. The only thing I had to do is disable VIA protocol using the Configuration Manager (see screenshot).

The server is up and running since that time. :)